The goals of the Service and Training of the Glycotechnology Resource is to make available the wide range of new technologies and applications developed within this Resource to the broader scientific community. The services are under the direction of Dr. Azadi and include:
Integrated Analytical Services
A strong emphasis of the service laboratory has been to offer services in the field of Proteoglycans (PGs). The analytical services in the PG area include:
- Isolation of glycosaminoglycans from cells and tissue
- Enzyme digestion of glycosaminoglycans to disaccharides
- Identification of disaccharides and sulfation pattern by online ESI-MS and ESI-MS/MS
- Sequencing of GAG oligosaccharides by ESI-MS and ESI-MS/MS
- Reversed-phase ion pair high-performance LC-mass spectrometry (RPIP-HPLC-MS)
- Chemical derivatization & reverse phase LC-MS/MS for sequencing of simple mixture of GAG oligos
- Capillary Electrophoresis (CE) and CE-MS of GAG oligos (Future Services)
- Identification of released disaccharides by Strong -Anion-Exchange Chromatography (SAX-HPLC ) & detection of the disaccharides by both UV and fluorescent detection
- Structural characterization of GAG oligosaccharides by 1D and 2D NMR
- Glycosyl composition analysis of GAGs by GC-MS
We also offer wider range of analytical services for structural analysis of glycoprotein and polysaccharides from mammalian, plant and bacteria sources through the CCRC at http://ccrc.uga.edu/services.
Carbohydrate Chemical Synthesis
Custom synthesis of oligosaccharides, glycoconjugates and related compounds is offered as part of the Resource service and collaboration component .
Services designed to facilitate molecular modeling are available via an intuitive, graphical user interface (GUI). The carbohydrate modeling web-tools are located on the internet at GLYCAM-Web and are accessed by users around the world.
Repository for Glyco-enzyme Expression Constructs
A major initiative undertaken during the current funding period as a service to the scientific community was the establishment of the Repository for Glyco-enzyme Expression Constructs. We offer a comprehensive set of vectors for mammalian glycosylation enzymes that could be expressed in various cell types.
Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR)
We offer surface plasmon resonance (SPR) for real-time monitoring of macromolecular interactions without the need for labels via the Biacore optical biosensor. Biacore instruments are available on collaboration or a fee-for-service basis to researchers at the University of Georgia as well as researchers from other institutions or companies.